Thomas, A Humble But Inquisitive Disciple

Thomas, More thank a doubter
Photo by Tory Morrison on Unsplash

Thomas, one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ, is widely labeled as the doubting disciple. But not many pay attention to the fact that he was humble and inquisitive at the same time.

So you can call him a humble questioner rather than the widely held unpalatable appellation, “the doubting Thomas.” You will see the reason in this post.

Thomas, the questioner, Jesus the Way…

A questioner is “a person who asks questions, especially in an official context” (Cambridge Dictionary).

That description suits the person of Thomas because in several instances in the Bible, we see him ask Jesus some questions when they mattered most.

And in all the cases, they paid off well for him (and for us too), because every time Thomas opened his mouth to say something, we would learn something from the responses that would follow.

I think you’re right Victor, there is more to Thomas than meets the eye. He strikes me as one who was willing to show his lack of understanding, in order to understand, because understanding was important to him.

Bruce Cooper of Reasoned Cases For Christ Blog

One of the greatest declarations Jesus ever made in His lifetime on Earth was this:

… I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me – John 14:6.

That statement alone sets Christianity light years apart from the so-called other religions of the world.

Do you know that it was Thomas that asked the all-important question that gave rise to that mind-blowing revelation by Jesus?

Read the conversation here John 14:3-5

Jesus: “I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?

It was in response to that question from Thomas that Jesus said, “I am the Way to God, none other except me.”

Imagine the audacity of Jesus in making that eternal declaration. He either meant every word in that statement or He was an imposter.

But you can be sure that Jesus is the One He said He is: the Only Way to God!

One of the greatest declarations Jesus ever made in His lifetime on Earth was: I am the way, the truth, and the life…

Thomas, a man of humility

Thomas put his humility on display when he asked Jesus some questions in order to learn.

He was not ashamed to ask for clarification when he did not understand what Jesus said. That’s shows that he was a humble person, because he did not allow his ego to get in the way.

At a critical point in time, Jesus had announced to His disciples that He was going away from them, speaking indirectly of His impending death, expected resurrection and subsequent ascension to Heaven.

I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know” John 14:3-4.

That puzzling speech from the lips of Jesus proved too hard for the bewildered disciples to fully comprehend. Yet they all (except Thomas) kept their ominous peace without asking further questions.

Jesus apparently had assumed that His disciples knew where He was going to when He told them He would be going away from them. But the didn’t.

It was Thomas who bailed out the disciples by humbly saying to Jesus,

“Master, we don’t even know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

To which Jesus replied:

… I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If Thomas had not asked that question, Jesus might not have had the awesome opportunity to declare that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life: the ONLY way to God.

I hope you can see that there is more to the man Thomas the Disciple than you have been made to believe. History has labelled him a doubter.

But truth be told, Thomas was more than a doubter. He was a good questioner and a humble man who asked relevant questions that elicited great revelations from the lips of the Master Jesus.

What is your impression about Thomas, the disciple?

12 thoughts on “Thomas, A Humble But Inquisitive Disciple

1. Paul Jan 18, 2021 / 3:40 pm

It’s intriguing that Jesus’ response to the unbelief/questions of the Pharisees was so different to His response to the unbelief/questions of Thomas! I think our God is a lot more gentle with people who acknowledge they are spiritually poor, than towards those who claim to have it all together

Liked by 1 person

• Victors' Corner Jan 19, 2021 / 7:59 am

You are right Paul. Anyone who acknowledges his or her spiritual inadequacy will find grace before God. Jesus Himself said “Blessed are the poor in Spirit for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.”

Liked by 1 person

2. Conquerin Sep 22, 2020 / 11:28 am

This post casts a whole new light on the personality of Thomas. I grew up with the orientation of him as a disciple of a Christ guilty of a negative character trait ‘Doubt’, now I know better. Thanks.

Liked by 1 person

3. Bruce Cooper Sep 22, 2020 / 8:45 am

I agree and now, thanks to you, with God’s help, I will remember that! May God’s grace, peace, joy and blessings be poured upon you and yours.

• Victors' Corner Sep 22, 2020 / 9:09 am

Thanks Bruce for your valuable comments. Peace of God abide with you and your family too,

Just to let you know, I just updated the post by including part of your comment. And I also linked to your blog so that my readers can go check out the posts on your blog. I hope that’s fine.

4. Bruce Cooper Sep 22, 2020 / 12:57 am

And when he was told by others that Jesus had indeed risen from the dead, taking their word for it wasn’t enough for him, he needed to see for himself. And of course, Jesus obliged and just about everyone knows what Thomas said when he saw Jesus for himself (“My Lord and my God”). And then the blessing that Jesus gave towards us, who have not seen, yet believe.

Had we been in the same situation that Thomas was in, I am sure that we could have easily said the same thing that he did. So I don’t look at Thomas in an unkind way, I’m actually grateful that he stated he needed to see, because when he did that, it feels like he said if for me. It’s an assurance that speaks to me of the reality of Jesus’ resurrection. Blessing Victor.

Liked by 1 person

• Victors' Corner Sep 22, 2020 / 8:42 am

Hello Bruce, Thanks a lot for the contribution.

Yes, Thomas asked questions so he could understand Jesus better. And in all the cases, they paid off well for him (and for us too). Because every time Thomas opened his mouth to say something, we would learn something from the responses that would follow.

I’m glad you don’t look at Thomas in an unkind way. But the same cannot be said of many people I know.

Most of my adult life, Thomas was nothing more than a doubter to me. So I was taught, and so I believed. But not anymore, because I have seen that Thomas has been a victim of bad press all along. He possessed far more good qualities than history has given him credit for.

Once again, Bruce, thank you for reading and commenting.

Liked by 1 person