Ravi Zacharias, A Good Christian Soldier Goes Home

“Ravi Zacharias, who spent his life defending Christianity through books and lectures, has died. He was 74.”

That was how CNN reported the death of internationally renown Christian apologists, Dr Ravi Zacharias on 19 May, 2020.

Before seeing that post, I was already aware of that news via an earlier blog post on Bruce Cooper’s Reason Cases for Christ. And my first reaction was, “We have lost a great Christian apologist. Ravi will be greatly missed…”

A friend of mine who is also an ardent admirer of Ravi’s, reacted in a similar tone: “Yeah, Ravi will be greatly missed. His contribution to Christian Apologetics was immense.”

Although I never got to meet him personally in his lifetime, I have read a couple of his articles and also listened to his recorded audio or video messages.

In all, I am convinced that Ravi was a man of very deep spiritual convictions.

He was a good soldier of Christ who travelled across several seas, oceans and mountains around the world propagating and defending the gospel of Jesus Christ. He was not afraid to tackle difficult questions around the Christian faith and was willing to engage the thinker at their level.

He even founded an organisation whose driving “goal is to touch both the heart and the intellect of the thinkers and influencers in society by tackling some of the toughest questions about faith and providing thoughtful answers.”

From the time he made the full commitment to follow God at the tender age of 17, he never looked back till he breathed his last at the ripe age of 74 years old, in sharing the Gospel.

An obituary statement from his organisation, RZIM, sheds a little light on Ravi’s lifelong passion for sharing the gospel of our Lord, Jesus Christ:

“…It was the culmination of a remarkable transformation set in motion when Zacharias, recovering in a Delhi hospital from a suicide attempt at age 17, was read the words of Jesus recorded in the Bible by the apostle John: “Because I live, you will also live.” In response, Zacharias surrendered his life to Christ and offered up a prayer that if he emerged from the hospital, he would leave no stone unturned in his pursuit of truth. Once Zacharias found the truth of the gospel, his passion for sharing it burned bright until the very end. Even as he returned home from the hospital in Texas, where he had been undergoing chemotherapy, Zacharias was sharing the hope of Jesus to the three nurses who tucked him into his transport.”

In the passing on to glory of Frederick Antony Ravi Kumar Zacharias, the Christian world has lost a great man who was inbued with both the intellectual and spiritual capacities to advance Christian Apologetics not only in friendly Christian circles but also in not-so-friendly political and academic arenas.

What’s your opinion about Ravi Zacharias’ passing on to glory?

15 thoughts on “Ravi Zacharias, A Good Christian Soldier Goes Home

1. Bruce Cooper 20/05/2020 / 3:06 pm

Hi Victor, Disciples of Ravi’s stature are few and far between. Quite the testimony. Blessings!

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 20/05/2020 / 3:09 pm

That’s true, Bruce; your observation is correct. Ravi was a great disciple of Christ, one like no other. May his legacies live on.

Liked by 1 person

2. D.P.G_Alabi 20/05/2020 / 5:02 pm

Like many other ardent followers of Ravi’s teachings I feel sad. I had listened to one of his teachings on Youtube earlier in the day before my brother sent me a message he was no more.

I was introduced to his messages in 2009 by a friend and ever since then I have found courage and Christian intelligence required to uphold and defend my faith.

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 20/05/2020 / 5:19 pm

We are all sad Alabi. But we should take solace in the fact that Ravi lived a purposeful life and is now resting in the Lord’s bosom.

The baton has been passed to us to courageously defend the faith.

• D.P.G_Alabi 20/05/2020 / 5:25 pm

About resting in the bosom of the Lord. I have been wandering; all the dead in Christ are expected to be asleep till resurrection of the dead. *Let my people think*

Liked by 1 person

3. musingsalonglifesjourney 25/05/2020 / 6:42 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I used to listen to Let My People Think as I prepared for Worship team at home Sunday mornings. Coming from a family of thinkers, I many times wanted to share Ravi with them, but never had the chance so far. I’ve waved to Ravi up in Heaven already this day; have you? Those who have been to Heaven and come back know those in Heaven are watching; cheering us on so Ravi’s destiny is continuing there! Halleluia!

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 26/05/2020 / 7:09 am

You are welcome. I encountered Ravi first through his articles, then I traced him to YouTube where I watch his videos. I like his approach to Christian apologetics.

4. MFranseen 04/06/2020 / 10:52 pm

I agree; he will be missed. One of the things I always appreciated about him was the emphasis that the goal of the Christian wasn’t merely to be right but to reach the hearts of others with the love of Jesus.

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 04/06/2020 / 11:02 pm

Exactly,your observation about Ravi is correct. As intellectual as he was, he always preached the gospel with compassion. I guess he has left us a good example to follow. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Liked by 1 person

5. Stephanie Wilkins 09/07/2020 / 12:02 am

Great tribute Victor! Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

• Victors' Corner 09/07/2020 / 5:48 am

You are welcome Stephanie. I feel honoured writing about Ravi, such a great Christian Apologist.

Thanks for reading and commenting.