When Will Americans Stop Disrespecting Their President?

Disclaimer: This article is not a political opinion. It is just an observation I wanted to let off my chest.

First and foremost, I am not an American, neither do I live in that fantastic country. However, it is my dream to be there some day, hopefully in the nearest future.

Just like many other people around the world, most of what I know about America and her president come from all sorts of media. To that extent, I would admit that not everything I have heard or read  about America and her people would be perfectly correct.

At the same time, you will not need to look too far to see that all is not well with the way some Americans see and address their current president.

From the people in mainstream broadcast and print media to the ones on the blogosphere, there seems to be an unprecedented attack on the office of the president of the United States, or better put, on the person of the present occupant of that exalted office, Donald Trump.

I feel that some, if not many, Americans are yet to come to terms with the realities of who this newest occupant of the White House is.

Why did I say that? Just turn on your news channels and you will easily see so much disrespect as it were in the way some Americans talk about president Trump.

Most recently, there was an outburst in many quarters over the president’s comment on some NFL players not standing to sing the national anthem. You saw the way some people reacted or responded to Trump on that, didn’t you?

I do not need to cite multiple examples here to drive home my point. Everyone around the world knows that the office of the POTUS is a respectable one. So why are this generation of Americans proving otherwise by the way they talk about Mr. Trump?

Besides, I am not trying to hold brief for anyone with this post. But as a distant observer on this other side of the Atlantic, it is observable that some of the remarks coming from some Americans about president Trump are either too uncomplimentary or out-rightly disrespectful.

Some people reportedly went as far as calling Trump the new Hitler. Really? Is he? May be I should consult my history books again!

Barack Obama (right) pictured with Donald Trump at the White House in Washington, DC on January 20, 2017 -AFP Photo-JIM WATSON
Barack Obama (right) pictured with Donald Trump at the White House in Washington, DC on January 20, 2017 (AFP Photo/JIM WATSON )

Right now, many Americans I see on international media seem to always take an exception to anything their President says or does, and responding publicly to him in most critical terms.

For God’s sake, it is the POTUS we are talking here! So why all these unsavoury name-calling and dirty jokes about president Trump by Americans?

Like him or not, he still remains the president. Besides, he is a father and a husband. So needless to say, he deserves more respect than some Americans are presently showing to him.

It would have been understandable to some extent if all these perceived disrespectful​ attitudes and denigrating remarks towards president Trump had emanated from people other than from American themselves. To think that some Americans seem to take immense delight in openly deriding their president is shocking to say the least.

I am not saying a president may not be criticised. But it calls for concern when it becomes a virulent personal attack.

In his time, I can recall that President Obama was also criticised by the American public on several fronts. But it seems the criticisms have gotten worse with President Trump, especially as far as the media is concerned.

Some of the unpalatable things we now hear some Americans say of their president are a huge departure from what we know (or think we know) of how average citizens of America hitherto saw their number one citizen.

But is President Trump bothered in any away? Let’s leave that question for another day!

Anyone who is a detached follower of the American mainstream media may agree that there are many Americans who do not speak well of, or who are out-rightly disrespectful to president Trump by the way and manner they talk about him. But the question remains,  “When will some Americans stop disrespecting their president?”

Do you agree that some Americans are disrespecting President Trump by the way they talk about him in the media? Feel free to air your views in the comment section.

©Copyright 2017 | Victor Uyanwanne

28 thoughts on “When Will Americans Stop Disrespecting Their President?

1. Kim Nolywaika 28/09/2017 / 8:32 pm

As an American, I am ashamed of the disrespect that seems to intensify daily. Not only is the president disrespected, but so is our flag, our military, our heritage, our faith, our God. While I shouldn’t be, I am astonished at the new lows some in our beautiful country are willing and eager to stoop to. Our hearts have turned to stone and our minds to mire. God help us.

Liked by 5 people

• dettinger47 28/09/2017 / 8:56 pm

Kim, as an American as well, I was going to comment on this post, but you have done it so precisely, I have little to add to it. You communicated my thoughts, and the thoughts of many Americans, with tremendous accuracy. Much thanks.

Liked by 5 people

• Kim Nolywaika 28/09/2017 / 8:57 pm

Thank you. I am sure there is plenty more we could all say, but I’ll leave that to others.

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 28/09/2017 / 9:12 pm

That’s true David. Kim made a great contribution to the discussion and I really appreciate that. Thank you.

• VictorsCorner 28/09/2017 / 9:09 pm

Thank you Kim for validating the post. As you pointed out, apart from the president, other institutions are also being disrespected. And that’s not nice.
      I can agree with you that it has something to do with the state of our hearts.

Liked by 1 person

2. dettinger47 28/09/2017 / 8:58 pm

Victor, as an American, I commend you for this well-written, timely, and extremely accurate post. I was going to write more, but Kim Nolywaika (above) expressed my thoughts perfectly. Thanks, Victor, for taking the time to write about this.

Liked by 2 people

• VictorsCorner 28/09/2017 / 9:16 pm

You are welcome David. Many thanks for the warm comments.
      I agree with you that Kim made an invaluable contribution to the discussion. And that’s wonderful!

Liked by 1 person

3. Barbara Fisher 28/09/2017 / 9:41 pm

Mmmm. I do respect the office of the president. I and my church regularly pray for our president because as believers this is what we are called to do. I Timothy 2:1-5

I also believe that God ordained him for this moment. I wrote about this in His Restraining Mercy.

But because I am praying for his salvation does not make me blind to the things that he says and does which are harmful, divisive and brings disrespect to the office of the presidency.

I cannot ignore the obvious lies, the narcissistic behavior, the lack of curiosity.

I wrote about this in Party vs. Country https://musingsandmytwocents.wordpress.com/?s=Party+vs+principles+

I recognize that our experience color how we see things, and it takes deliberate effort to try to see from another’s perspective. Usually, we are quicker to judge or dismiss. This saddens me. Empathy, walking a mile in someone else’s shoes is missing.

Liked by 3 people

• VictorsCorner 30/09/2017 / 5:36 pm

Thank you Barbara for reading and commenting.

It is okay to respect the office a person occupies. But how about respecting the person who occupies the office as well? I don’t want to believe that will be out of place.

Just because our leaders are not perfect does not mean they don’t deserve our respect. We ought to respect them where they are right now, not waiting until they are able to meet all of our expectations.

Barbara, as you know, I am not suggesting that we should accept all the bad behaviours of our leaders. No far from it. But I do believe that we should respect them all the same, and finding appropriate avenues to address their shortcomings that make us feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for the links. I will check them out.

Liked by 1 person

• Barbara Fisher 30/09/2017 / 5:46 pm

Victor, I don’t believe that I in any way inferred that I do not respect the president. I do abhor his behavior. I pray for him by name. I do expect that he respect the office of the presidency which I do not believe he does. Like I said earlier, God has placed him there for a reason.

My links may provide more insight.

Just my two cents.

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 30/09/2017 / 6:32 pm

Yes, Barabara, I can see that we are on the same page. And that to me is okay.

I have seen the links you supplied. As it turned out, I could see that I had previously read, liked and even commented on one of them. Reading the second one, I couldn’t agree with you less.

Apart from the fact that you reiterated that you do not disrespect the president and you pray for him regularly (which are both fantastic), I particularly liked the fact that you kept talking about ‘core values’ in both posts. And that’s the heart of the matter for us who are followers of Christ.

Thank you for your time.

Liked by 1 person

4. Very True Victor and it’s not just in America that Authority is disrespected and criticized needlessly. Of course I do not agree with what is against God’s guidelines regardless of who propagates it and I will stand up against it just the same as Jesus did, He didn’t agree with evil but He did say respectfully; “Give to Cesar what is Cesars and to God what is Gods” and as we see confirmed in the Scripture below we are to Pray for those in Authority over us, can we honestly Pray in Love and then slander those we Pray for.

1 Timothy 2:1-3 I exhort therefore that first of all Supplications, Prayers, Intercessions and giving of Thanks be made for all Men. For Kings and for all that are in Authority that we may lead a quiet and Peaceable life in all Godliness and Honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour (KJV)

Christian Love Always – Anne.

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 30/09/2017 / 9:28 pm

Hello Anne, that’s a link to one of my posts on this blog. Is there anything you are drawing my attention to please?

• Yes there is Victor, unlike you and as confirmed in your link, you always reply to Comments but you didn’t to mine this time and I don’t value a quick like as a reply, I agree with you, when we care about others we don’t ignore them but after I Posted your link, I thought perhaps you missed replying to my Comment because of your response to Barabara which I agreed with.

Yes we remember as you shared Victor that our Core Values reflect our Heart focus and will be shown in our Actions, God tells us as a Man, yes Woman too, thinks so they will do. When we Love as God does, we will do as He says, our Obedience shows we are in Christ Jesus and Born Again. (1John3:9)

1Timothy 2:1-3 I exhort therefore that first of all Supplications, Prayers, Intercessions and giving of THANKS be made for all Men, for Kings and for all that are in Authority that we may lead a quiet and Peaceable life in all Godliness and Honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour (KJV)

God’s Blessings dear Victor – Grannie Annie.

• VictorsCorner 01/10/2017 / 6:36 am

Anne, sincerely I would have thought that I responded to ALL your comments already. You would please understand that any omissions are not intentional. Thanks for the understanding.

I promise to go through them again and respond to anyone I might have missed out. You know I always respond to all comments on my blog. My position on that hasn’t changed yet. Please accept my highest regards.

• VictorsCorner 01/10/2017 / 3:03 pm

My response to this comment was inadvertently skipped earlier. Please bear with me as I will now respond as follows:

Anne, I will agree with you that Authorities are being disrespected in many countries across the world, and that’s not good at all. I decided to single out America in this article because that’s the one always on the front burner every time I listen to international media. Besides, America is seen as a model of nations…

Yes, we should stand up against what is evil, even if it is being promoted by our leaders. But that doesn’t confer on us the right to disrespect them or their offices. I believe we can express our displeasure over the supposed ‘unbefitting’ behaviours of our leaders without rubbishing their personalities or the offices they occupy.

Most of the people who commented on this post agreed that we should pray for our leaders. And some even admitted regularly praying for Trump himself. But like you rightly asked, “Can we honestly Pray in Love and then slander those we Pray for?”

My honest answer will be a resounding NO. Thank you Anne for this very useful perspective.

5. Impactfuljourney 30/09/2017 / 6:03 am

Nice article Victor. Just like we have been asked, we should pray for those in leadership and authority. Criticism is definitely allowed but what a lot of people do with regards to government and authority is totally disrespectful.

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 30/09/2017 / 5:02 pm

You are right Deo. Thanks for reading and making a contribution to the discourse.

6. Bruce 30/09/2017 / 11:36 am

Hi Victor, well I have to admit I have a hard time with this particular post. I understand about respecting the Office of the President and the flag etc but my mind has a difficult time understanding how the one who currently holds the office can show disrespect for women (locker room talk), disrespect for any who disagree with him, disrespect for war heroes (Sen. John McCain), childish self centred tendencies that closely relate to narcissistic personality traits, not to mention a propensity to confuse fact with wishful thinking, and then wonder why so many express opposition.

I respect the opinions of those who hold him in high esteem but quite candidly, I do not understand it. I do understand that there is an element of respect that goes with the office he fills but I also have a tendency to think that respect is something that is earned, not something that is just outrightly given without regard to counterproductive tendencies he frequently demonstrates.

My apology to anyone if I have offended you, that is not my intent. I just clearly do not understand how so many people can have so many opposing views. I know that many Christians see President Trump as an end to a means but i also have a hard time understanding what is waved aside in order to achieve the goal. Once again, my apology if I have offended anyone, just trying to understand.

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 30/09/2017 / 5:22 pm

Bruce, I’m not offended by your comment at all and I do not expect my readers here to be either. On the contrary, I appreciate your frankness and the valid points you raised.

I do not want to in any way undermine the issues you raised. But you see, if we expect to see a leader that has got it altogether before we begin to give him or her the respect, we may never find one. I think we should respect our leaders where they are irrespective of their personal shortcomings.

I agree with you that respect can be earned, but at the said time, your office can confer on you some degree of respect. It is not exactly nice for us to say that we respect the office and not the occupant of the office.

When the Bible says to us to respect those in authority, it didn’t add the proviso that they must earn our respect before we do so. We should just do what is right, irrespective of the character flaws of the leaders. Thank you for reading and commenting.

7. Bruce 30/09/2017 / 10:43 pm

Hi Victor, thank you for the feedback. I reread the comments by your other commenters and yourself and I understand what you and they are saying. If President Trump entered a room I was in I would show him the proper respect he is due, just like I would stand for the National Anthem.

I served 35 years in the Canadian Armed Forces and we were taught the same principle about our senior officers, e.g. showing respect to the position they hold. However (comma, pause for effect), the Office and position they hold and the person they are, are not one and the same thing. The Apostle Peter held the top position for the church in Jerusalem but that did not stop the Apostle Paul from calling Peter out when he was in error with regard to siding with the legalistic Jewish Christians.

You may also remember that the authorities ordered Peter and the Apostles to stop preaching and you recall their response. Error in personal conduct with women, ridiculing others, disrespecting a war hero who spent 5+ years in the enemies prison and habitually lying is never OK and from my perspective, President Trump does not show the proper respect for the position that he holds.

And no, I do not expect perfection from any President. Do I pray for him, yes I do, as I pray for our own Prime Minister here in Canada. But please don’t tell me that I should hold up his character as an example of how a mature leader or man for that matter should act to our children or youth because that simply defies common logic. Jesus said to give Caesar what he was due, He didn’t say emulate or condone Caesar’s character or behaviour. Big difference.

As quoted by one of your readers; 1 Timothy 2:1-3 KJV “exhort therefore that first of all Supplications, Prayers, Intercessions and giving of Thanks be made for all Men. For Kings and for all that are in Authority that we may lead a quiet and Peaceable life in all Godliness and Honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour.”

In Acts 5:27-29 the Sanhedrin, who were in authority ordered Peter and the rest of the Apostles to stop preaching. Would that fall under “and for all that are in Authority”? Did Peter and the Apostles pray for the Sanhedrin, I’m pretty sure they would have if they followed what 1 Timothy 2:1-4 states, in particular verse 4, which wasn’t included in the quote by your reader, which states “who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” Context is always key. There’s no emulating or condoning behaviour here, they’re praying for them to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. I can definitely pray that prayer for President Trump.

I’ve probably said much more than I should have, so once again, forgive me if I have offended anyone. I do understand what you are saying now, unfortunately I don’t agree. I can live with that and I hope you can too. Blessings!

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 01/10/2017 / 6:28 am

Once again, don’t worry about it. Your comment is well appreciated; I have no reason to be offended by it – I shouldn’t be.

I am happy to learn about your 35 years in military service. That is to say, I’m convinced as you said that you know much about respecting constituted authorities, and that’s fine with me.

Of course you don’t have to agree with the views my other readers and I expressed here. But that you took time to go through them again is magnanimous enough. And I must say, I understand your perspectives too.

But allow me to state that everything, including the comments here, have to be taken in context. I didn’t suggest that we must always follow our leaders’ examples even when their behaviours are bad. But I did say that does not mean we should disrespect them.

Respecting them, I must say doesn’t mean we must accept their immoral behaviours. We can address the issues with their character without attacking their person so rudely.

As per the Scriptures you referred to, we can learn from them as well. Paul for instance, addressed the hypocrisy displayed by Peter, but did not exactly take him to the cleaners.

As per praying for our leaders, I would like to add that we will defeat the purpose of our prayers if we pray for them in secret and disrespect them in public.

Thanks for your time.

8. Nehemiah Project 01/10/2017 / 4:09 am

Too many people are angry over how Mr. Trump has been handling things. He makes insensitive comments, threatens national leaders and has, in his short tenure, brought at least two countries to prep their military, fearing a US attack. He has appointed people to cabinet positions who are not qualified for the positions. He has spent more time golfing at his own resorts (charging the secret service’s stay, there) nearly every weekend, which costs a tidy fortune each time he travels.

As for the man, respect is earned. The office is due respect, but he has done more to disgrace that office than any president in our 240 year history. While I do not entertain the wording and language some folks use in their criticisms of Mr. Trump, the points are valid. People are angry and greatly concerned and have good reason to be.

Liked by 1 person

• VictorsCorner 01/10/2017 / 6:44 am

Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate the insights you have given.

Like you observed, the language of criticism has been so uncomplimentary. I guess that’s what gave rise to the post in the first place.